Here is a common question among new Apple Pay users. Does Target Take Apple Pay? Well, if you are wondering the same, here is a comprehensive guide on that.
Digital payment methods have revolutionized how we make and pay for purchases. Right now, you can order and pay for a product or service from anywhere. Even better, you don't have to go carrying huge chunks of cash everywhere.
Apple Pay is one such payment method whose use has grown tremendously. But is this payment method accepted everywhere? Does Target take Apple Pay, considering it is among the largest retail stores?
Well, the simple answer is yes! But a while ago, this answer would have varied. It would have depended on where you are doing your shopping. For instance, was it online on Target.com, Target stores, or using your Apple Pay App?
So, to better answer this question – does Target take Apple Pay – let's take a comprehensive look at how this payment option works.
Table of Contents
What is Apple Pay?
Launched in 2014, Apple Pay is a mobile wallet that allows you to digitally store your debit and credit cards on supported Apple devices. Instead of using your physical card to make purchases, you can use your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac to pay at contactless payment terminals. It allows you to check out quickly and securely without having to pull out your physical credit or debit cards.
To use Apple Pay, you add your bank-issued payment cards to the Wallet app on your Apple device. You can add debit cards, credit cards, prepaid cards, rewards cards, and store cards.
When you want to pay, you simply hold your iPhone near the contactless reader or double-click the side button on an Apple Watch. You will be prompted to authenticate the payment using Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode.
Apple Pay is accepted at many major stores, restaurants, online shops, and apps. It works with NFC or RFID contactless payment systems, so you can use it at places that accept tap-and-go style payments. But does Target, one of the largest retailers in the US, accept Apple Pay?
Let's find out;
Does Target Take Apple Pay?
Yes, Target accepts Apple Pay both in stores and online. Also, you can use it to pay for items when shopping through the Target App. You can add your Target REDcards to Apple Pay and get all the usual benefits, like 5% off most purchases.
Target has accepted Apple Pay in stores since 2018. If you have an iPhone with Face and Touch ID features, you can use Apple Pay at any Target store nationwide, except iPhone 5s. All Target locations have NFC contactless terminals to accept mobile wallet payments from Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay.
You can also use Apple Pay on Target.com when checking out. Just select Apple Pay as the payment method during online checkout. In the Target mobile app, you have the option to check out with Apple Pay as well.
What Stores Accept Apple Pay?
Today, Apple Pay is accepted by thousands of retailers, though not all stores support it yet. Here are some of the major stores, online shops, and apps that take Apple Pay:
- Duane Reade
Generally, over 85% of US stores and restaurants accept Apple Pay. However, according to recent statistics, some are yet to accept this payment method.
Apple has a full list of Apple Pay merchants on its website that is constantly updated. It is also accepted anywhere you see the universal contactless payment symbol or Apple Pay logo at the checkout.
See Related: How to Get a Free Apple Gift Card
Setting Up Apple Pay on Your Device
Before you can use Apple Pay at Target or anywhere, you first need to set it up on your compatible device. This could be your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch.
Here's how to get started with Apple Pay on each device:
If you are setting up Apple Pay on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Go to your device's Wallet app.
- Tap the plus sign in the top-right.
- Select “Add Credit or Debit Card.”
- Use your iPhone camera to scan your card or enter the details manually.
- Follow the prompts to enter additional information like billing address and CVV security code.
- Read and agree to the terms.
- Verify your identity using two-factor authentication. This may require an SMS code or verification through your bank.
- Your card is now added to Apple Pay and ready to use. Repeat to add more cards.
You can also use Apple Pay on any iPad model that has Touch ID, Face ID, or an A12 Bionic chip and higher. Set it up similarly:
- Go to Settings > Wallet and Apple Pay.
- Choose “Add Credit or Debit Card.”
- Use the camera to enter your card info or add it manually.
- Follow the prompts to add your details, verify your identity, and accept terms.
Once the setup is complete, you can use Apple Pay in apps and on websites that accept it, including Target.
Adding cards to Apple Pay on your Apple Watch is also possible and easy. Take these few steps, and you'll be good to go:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Go to Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap “Add Credit or Debit Card.”
- Use your iPhone camera to capture the card details or enter manually.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your address, security code, etc.
- Accept the terms to finish adding the card.
After the initial setup, you can continue adding more cards directly on your Apple Watch through the Wallet app.
Using Apple Pay at Target
Once you have your Apple Pay set up, you can use it to make quick, secure purchases at Target stores, on Target.com, and in the Target app. Here is how it works at different outlets.
1. Target Stores
When shopping at Target stores, you can use Apple Pay at checkout by:
- Holding your iPhone near the contactless reader terminal
- Double-clicking the side button on your Apple Watch when it's close to the terminal
- Holding your iPad near the contactless reader
You will be prompted to authenticate with Face ID, Touch ID, or by entering your passcode on the device. This helps ensure secure payment.
After the payment process, you will see a checkmark on your device screen. For purchases over $100, you may occasionally need to sign the receipt.
Here is how to use Apple Pay on Target.com:
- Add items to your cart and proceed to checkout.
- Select Apple Pay as the payment method.
- A window will pop up and prompt you to confirm with Face ID or Touch ID on your iPhone/iPad. Or double-click your Apple Watch side button.
Your order is completed after authentication.
3. Target App
You can check out with Apple Pay when shopping on the Target app as well. Here is the process:
- Add items to your Target app cart.
- Tap the cart icon and select “Checkout.”
- Pick Apple Pay as the payment method.
- Use Face ID or Touch ID on iPhone/iPad. Or double-click the side button on the Apple Watch.
- Confirm the payment details.
That's all there is to it. Apple Pay will work the same on the Target app as it does in-store and online.
See Related: Is Apple Worth It?
Target In-Store Payment Options
In addition to Apple Pay, Target offers a few other contactless payment options in-stores for convenience. Some of the main options here include:
- Target Wallet – The Target app has a built-in wallet to store Target gift cards, RedCards, and Cartwheel discounts. You can pay directly from the app by scanning a QR code during checkout.
- Target Debit Card – Target offers a branded debit card called Target Debit Card that offers a 5% discount on purchases. You can tap and pay with this contactless card.
- Target REDcards – These are Target-branded credit and debit cards. They offer 5% off your purchases and can be used with Apple Pay.
- Contactless Credit/Debit Cards – Any contactless chipped credit or debit card from major banks like Chase and Citi can be used at Target as well.
- Magnetic Stripe Cards – Target checkout counters still accept traditional swipe payments if you don't have a contactless card.
- Gift Cards – Physical and digital Target gift cards are accepted to pay for your purchases.
- Personal check
So, besides Apple Pay, you have options like tapping your contactless cards, scanning the Target app, or swiping your regular credit cards when shopping in stores. Still, these are not the only payment options on Target stores. Get the full list of the payment options here.
Target App and Target.com Payment Options
On the Target app and Target.com, you have the following ways to pay digitally for your purchases:
- Apple Pay – As discussed above, you can use Apple Pay in the Target app and on the website.
- Target Wallet – The Target app wallet lets you checkout with stored Target gift cards, REDcards, and more.
- Credit/Debit Card – Enter your standard card details to pay on Target.com or in the app.
- Target REDcard – Use your REDcard account to get 5% off online orders.
- PayPal – Checkout with your PayPal account.
- Target Circle Earnings – Redeem Target Circle rewards towards your purchase.
It's safe to say that Apple Pay is among the fastest and most secure options when it comes to making digital payments. However, you have plenty of ways to pay on Target's online platforms.
Why Use Apple Pay at Target?
There are a few great benefits to using Apple Pay when shopping at Target. If you want to start using it, here are the main merits:
- Convenient – Checking out takes seconds. Just tap or glance at the payment terminal. No more fumbling for your wallet.
- Secure – Apple Pay uses device-specific encrypted security codes, so your card details are never shared directly. Must authenticate with Face/Touch ID or passcode.
- Private – Your card number is never stored on the merchant end or shared with Target when using Apple Pay.
- Works with Target REDcard – Get the 5% REDcard discount when you add the card to Apple Pay.
- Rewards – Apple Pay works with the Target Circle loyalty program to rack up rewards.
- Works Online – Apple Pay can be used on Target.com and the Target app for easy checkout.
Apple Pay Security and Privacy
Security and privacy are at the core of Apple Pay's design. But how can we be sure of this fact? Let's look at some of Apple Pay's key security protections:
- Uses device-specific Dynamic Security Codes, so your actual card data is never shared.
- Must authenticate payments with Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode.
- Your card number is never stored on the merchant end.
- Uses Secure Element technology to store card information securely on the device.
- Payment details are encrypted and anonymized.
- If your device is lost, you can use Find My to freeze Apple Pay or wipe your device.
- Backed by bank-level security measures and anti-fraud protection.
- Apple does not track or store Apple Pay purchase history data.
As such, feel confident using Apple Pay. It offers robust security, privacy, and anti-fraud safeguards for every transaction. It is designed to be a very safe mobile payment platform.
Conclusion: Does Target Take Apple Pay?
Target accepts Apple Pay in all its platforms, whether in-store, online, or on the Target App. This allows for a fast and convenient checkout experience.
Simply add your cards to the Wallet app, hold your iPhone near the contactless terminal, and authenticate your identity when prompted. You can also use Apple Pay to checkout when shopping on Target.com and the Target app. With enhanced security, privacy, rewards integration, and REDcards support, Apple Pay is a great payment option for Target shoppers.